Thursday, July 19, 2007
Fasten your bike helmet – It’s storming!

Last night we got some much needed rain. Around 2:30 am we had a pretty heavy storm with lots of lightning and thunder. It always amazes me that there are people out there that love the sound of a storm. Not me. It brings back crazy childhood memories of my Mom yelling at us to get in the basement. She would always, no matter how bad a storm was, make us get in the basement. I remember as a child being extremely afraid of storms. I’m pretty sure I can blame my Mom for that. LOL!

We don’t have a basement at our house. I do remember several years ago having my sister and niece with us and having a bad storm with a tornado warning in the middle of the night. I remember Todd going out to the garage and getting bike helmets for the kids and waking the kids up and making them go in the bathroom. Evan could have cared less about the storm then and once we placed the helmet on him his head was bobbing around because he was so tired. I thought at the time that the bike helmets were kind of a crazy idea. The kids looked kind of goofy with bike helmets and pajamas. But now that I think about it that was really a good idea. Much better than placing your hands over your head.

Anyway – back to last night. Evan woke up around 2:30 am complaining about the thunder like I could turn it off or something. He used to not care at all about storms. Over the past year Evan has been more afraid of them. I think because he learned more about them last summer at Camp Invention and he knows about the damage they can do. Thanks Camp Invention teachers! I appreciate that. LOL! I told him that I could turn a music CD on and maybe that would help him so I put on some soft music and thought that would do the trick. Well the storm finally settled down and he called again and said that he was too wide awake to go back to sleep. Now it is 3:30 am. I told him it was the middle of the night and he had to try to sleep. Once again I put on some soft music and finally he went to sleep. What was I doing? Yep – waiting for him to call me again. So – would someone please tell me what is so wonderful about listening to a storm? I can understand listening to rain. I do find that soothing. I will never feel soothed by thunder and lightning and my nightmares of running to the basement.

  posted at 11:10 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 2:04 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I'm with you, Lisa. Soft rain = nice. Storm = YUCK!

Love the part about the bike helmets, though. Kind of like telling the President to wear the bullet proof vest and then praying he doesn't get shot in the head.

LOL

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Julie R. said...

We were up "with you" last night! Lily was very nervous and hopped into bed with us (for a golden retriever she sure does hog the bed)...then two of the kids were up. That was quite a storm!!

I guess I see storms differently, though. I love a good thunderstorm. I find them kind of humbling or awe-inspiring. I think of how huge God is, how powerful, how majestic. I love the way the lightning lights up the whole sky and the rumbles of thunder that can't be ignored. It kind of grabs your attention in a holy sort of way. I think of how God is a fierce warrior -- quick to rise to our defense and mighty in power. I love it!

It just makes me think about how huge God is and it makes me think of Him to hear the storm. I am drawn, too, to the parallel it is spiritually when we go through storms in our life. "His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet." Nahum 1:3 It always reminds me that He is RIGHT THERE. It's awesome.

I hope that Jesus heals some of those scary memories for you running to the basement. I'm sure that felt very traumatic and maybe still does when you remember it. Many storms cause great tragedies and I'm not making light of that at all. They can be devastating. So let me just clarify that I love a great storm that doesn't bring any harm. Maybe one of the blessings for you is that you can snuggle in all the closer to your hubby until the storm passes...that's always a good thing!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Draw The Line said...

I just love a great THUNDER STORM myself. I like to watch the fingers of lightning go across the sky and the loud claps of thunder. The bigger and louder the better.

While on vacation several years ago we drove through the worst thunder storm I have ever seen. We were headed home from California and had just come through Denver when we hit it or should I say it hit us. It was a bit scarry driving in a torrential typhoon type rain and hail storm with bright lightning and thunder thrown in for effect. I filmed the entire thing so maybe we can watch it sometime.

Back to last night. The lightning is so powerful and the thunder is deafening. It reminds me how powerless I am. I have no control over it. It is beautiful in it's own way. Hurrah for the great show last night.

Thanks God!! It was awesome!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • Why Do You Love Jesus?
  • I planted a bad seed.
  • Prayer Requests
  • Book Review – River’s Edge by Terri Blackstock
  • More Books!
  • Thanks To The Academy!
  • Book Review – “Kill Me” by Stephen White
  • A Week At The Lake
  • I got a ticket yesterday.
  • Getting Away

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: