Thursday, October 11, 2007
Transition
I have been pretty quiet lately when it comes to posting on my blog. Most of what I’ve been living through lately has had to stay under cover until today.

Today I turned in my 2 weeks notice after working for my current employer for 10 ½ years. I have loved working at my job but in the last year things had slowed down dramatically and I hardly had anything to do. I had asked for more to do and was told not to worry about it – that sometimes things were slow. Well it was just way too slow for me. I was starting to feel worthless as far as contributing to the company and I was feeling guilty for getting paid for what little I did.

I have known for awhile that I had to do something different. About 6 weeks ago Todd had told me that the Bookkeeper at Evan’s school was going to leave because her husband got a job in Boston and they would have to move. Todd is on the school board. I mentioned that the job might be interesting and before I knew it I was in talking with the Superintendent about the job. Of course this was something totally different from what I do now. I am a Systems Analyst and this new job involved Accounting. I have felt a tug lately to do something different after programming for 22 years and Accounting has always been of interest to me. Maybe because my Dad and brother are CPAs and my sister is an Accountant with a private company. I think it must be in my blood or something. LOL!

So I sat down with Debi, who is the current Bookkeeper, and had her show me some of what she does so I could get a grasp of whether or not I could do this. I have an Accounting minor but it has been 22 years since I’ve had any classes so it probably doesn’t even count. I decided that I thought I could handle it. Debi had told me that she didn’t have any Accounting experience before taking the job so that made me feel better about it too. I talked again with the Superintendent and after much prayer decided it was a good fit.

Last Friday I started my training at the school. I am going in on the days I’m not at my current job. Now I am extremely overwhelmed with learning all this new stuff. I never liked changing jobs but this is even more difficult because I’m not just changing my place of work but also my skill set. Yikes!

I do feel better now that I’ve turned in my notice. It wasn’t something I looked forward to. As soon as I told my boss he immediately asked if I would be willing to consult with them. I said I would. The problem is that nobody has been trained in what I do there and I just can’t give my work to someone else. I think this will work out well. I can still keep my hands in programming while learning something new.

I just hope I can keep my sanity while I’m going through this transition.

  posted at 2:49 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wow, congratulations! That's exciting and scary and nerve-wracking at the same time, I bet. I can't imagine changing my job skills to something totally different after that long. You're very brave, and I bet it will totally pay off, you'll probably just love this new job and your new duties. Cool that they want you to consult at your old job for a while :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Lisa - Best of luck with your new job. It sounds fun (and challenging!). I know you will do just fine.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Draw The Line said...

Lisa I just know you will be fine. If you can help build a fence then you can be a accountant!!! LOL

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Lisa M said...

Stacey & Jill - thanks so much for your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

John - The key word there was "help" which in my case meant providing water for the people who were actually doing the work. LOL! Not sure that qualifies me to be an accountant. LOL! Thanks John!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • Spam
  • Fall Into Reading Challenge
  • Kid Nation
  • Book Review – One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury
  • Funny things kids say
  • A Trip To The ER
  • The Bug Collection
  • Psychiatric Hotline Voice Mail
  • Book Review – Marley & Me by John Grogan
  • Yes - I'm still around.

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: