Thursday, September 27, 2007
Kid Nation
Has anyone watched the show on CBS Wednesday evenings called Kid Nation? I remember seeing several blog posts before the show ever aired stating that they thought this show was terrible and couldn’t believe it was going to be on TV. That kind of bothered me when I read these posts because the show had not even come out yet.

Well I for one really like the show. They have taken 40 kids from ages 8 to 15 and placed them in Bonanza City, New Mexico for 40 days. They claim the kids are on their own and they have to learn how to run the ghost town. I think this is what was bothering people before the show came out. What in the world would 40 kids do if they were left without adult supervision?

Well this is what is pretty amazing. They actually are doing a good job. They are guided by a book that gives them ideas on how to build up the city and to get along. There was a Town Council made up of 4 preselected kids that work together to make decisions for the entire group. The book they are reading told them to split up into 4 territories (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow). Each Town Council member took turns selecting the kids they wanted in their territory. By the way – this process seemed to go fairly smoothly. Every few days Jonathan, the host of the show, comes in and tells them about a Showdown they will have that determines their social classes and jobs The territory that comes in first gets to be the “Upper Class”, second place is the “Merchants”, third place is the “Cooks”, and fourth place is the “Laborers”. They get Buffalo nickels to spend in the store based on their social class. If all territories get the Showdown completed within an hour the whole town gets a reward. Last week they completed it in time and the Town Council had to choose between 7 more outhouses (they only had 1 to begin with) or a TV. They chose the outhouses and everyone seemed very pleased by that.

After each Showdown the Town Council gets to award one kid with a gold star that is worth $20,000. This money goes to their parents and hopefully will be used towards their future education. The first week the kids did not know about the gold star but now that they know their behavior is changing. At the same time the gold star is awarded they also ask if anyone wants to go home. One boy who was 8 left the show so far. He was very homesick.

I just find this show to be very interesting. I’m pretty impressed with the kids and what they have accomplished. Evan likes to watch the show too. Of course he told me he would die if he was on the show. I don’t know if he is referring to physical starvation or just missing us. I’m going for the missing us. That one makes me feel better.

Would I ever let Evan go on this show at his age? No way! But it is very cool to see what the kids do and I’m amazed that there are 8 and 9 yr olds that will be away from home for 40 days. Check it out. You may just enjoy it.

  posted at 3:58 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • Book Review – One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury
  • Funny things kids say
  • A Trip To The ER
  • The Bug Collection
  • Psychiatric Hotline Voice Mail
  • Book Review – Marley & Me by John Grogan
  • Yes - I'm still around.
  • Book Review - Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson
  • Happy Birthday Evan!
  • You've Got To Read This

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: