Thursday, June 07, 2007
Cub Scout Day Camp

This is the 4th year that Todd and I have helped with Cub Scout day camp. Every year, I hate to say, we really don’t look forward to this adventure. This year was no exception. It’s hot, dirty, and kids seem to get on each other’s nerves. Didn’t I mention before that I’m not a kid person? I guess when you have a kid you end up being a kid person whether you like it or not. I can handle a few kids at a time but when you get a group of them I just want to run and hide.

Yesterday was our pack’s first day. Day camp was all week but since our kids were in school through Tuesday we didn’t start camp until Wednesday. Todd and I never help on the same days. Since I’m “part-time” I help on the days I don’t work and Todd takes off work to help on the other days.

I went yesterday and I have to admit that I really wasn’t looking forward to it. However, it really turned out to be a nice day. They did things differently this year. Usually our pack stays together as a group. This year they divided the kids up by rank. This meant that we had one Wolf and the rest were Webelos. I knew that Ben, the Wolf, would probably not feel comfortable going with a group of kids he didn’t know and I knew his parents probably wouldn’t want that either. I called his Mom and told her the situation. We decided it was best that I stay with Ben and the other 7 yr olds while the other adult volunteer stay with the older boys. I didn’t hover over Ben but was there so he would know that if he needed anything I would be there for him. I helped keep track of all of the kids along with another lady volunteer who was very nice. We ended up eating lunch with the rest of the pack at my request. This way Ben could be with his older brother for awhile and I could eat lunch with Evan.

I have to admit that I was exhausted when I got home. It’s not like I was that busy all day but I guess being out in the sun and keeping track of kids just wore me out. I did get a sunburn on the back of my legs because I wasn’t smart enough to put on sunscreen when I would be outside for 8 hrs. I did make sure the boys had it on though. I guess that is a mother thing. Take care of them and forgot yourself. LOL!

Today was Todd’s day and he was dreading it this morning. Of course, he got the 90 degree day while I got the 75 degree day. Can’t blame him a bit for not looking forward to that. I did get an email from him though that things were going well.

Tomorrow I will be back out there but for a shorter day. I think I will be with Evan’s group this time.

Did I mention that yesterday while I was with Ben’s group doing archery that Evan’s group was right beside us shooting BB guns? This was the only time during the day that I saw him and guess what he was doing? Yep – getting yelled at for pointing his gun the wrong direction when putting the BB’s in it. Yikes! Maybe it was best that I wasn't subjected to that all day. LOL!

  posted at 3:08 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 4:06 PM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey, Lisa, thanks for your kind words at 2nd Cup. So you are in Ohio. Anywhere near Findlay, which is near and dear to my heart? the Scout thing ...you're right; you get drafted into these roles once you have kids, even if you don't feel equipped to do it. But you did it again, and I'm sure it means a lot to your son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • God's Hand
  • CSI
  • 100 Things About Me
  • My husband’s new best friend.
  • My e-Buddy
  • McSpecial Times
  • What have I gotten myself into?
  • Our Ethiopian Friend
  • Time Well Spent
  • Purse-onality

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: