Tuesday, May 22, 2007
What have I gotten myself into?
Tonight is the banquet for the EAGLES (Enrichment Aimed at Gifted Learners Embracing Success) program at school. The gifted coordinator, who is a very good friend of mine, asked me if Todd and I would like to speak at the banquet. She asked me this a few weeks ago and I said “sure” without any hesitation. Now that it is tonight I’m thinking to myself “What have I gotten myself into?”.

I asked her how long she wanted us to talk. She said around 5 minutes. I’m thinking 5 whole minutes? Todd thought – wow – how am I going to only talk for 5 minutes? LOL! You see he is great at standing up in front of people and talking. He loves it and is very good at it. I, on the other hand, would prefer to be in the audience. So tonight will be interesting. I’m hoping he talks for 4 minutes and 45 seconds so I can just utter a few words and be done.

I actually sat down yesterday and typed up what I wanted to say. I know what I want to say but saying it is another matter. I could kind of read it but that probably wouldn’t look too good. So – hopefully once I get up there I will remember everything I wanted to say and not have to look down at my notes too much. I am very proud of the EAGLES program at school. It has only been in place for 2 years but it is growing and is a great program. Last year we just had Reading and this year we added Math. The kids that qualify for the program are taken out of the classroom for 45 minutes twice a week. I have helped with it since the beginning and have enjoyed spending time with the kids. I have worked with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders.

One of the things I wanted to mention tonight is the fact that it is so interesting to see how the kids process things. I have found that even in Math they come up with different ways to solve a problem. I always thought Math was pretty concrete in that there are rules and methods for solving problems. Well I have learned otherwise. Sometimes the way they come up with answers is so far out there but it works. It just amazes me how their minds work. Even though they are all gifted they are still very different from one another when it comes to personalities and the way they learn.

Evan goes to a fairly small Christian school so starting a program like this was a big deal for the school. The superintendent was so supportive of this program and the teachers have been great too. The gifted coordinator is a volunteer who has a son in Evan’s class. She has spent a great deal of time talking to other gifted coordinators from several schools that have an enrichment program in place. She has done a great job getting this program going and is really the one person that got it all started.

Anyway – tonight I hope to do my best with something I’m not gifted in. Todd, however, we expect great things from you. LOL!

  posted at 2:02 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 4:39 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I had to talk in front of my entire church once. I wrote it all out on half size sheets of paper in BIG font and read from the cards as I also looked up, down, left and right. It seemed to work...they said I looked very "natural."

I'll be praying for you to do a great job tonight and to blow Todd right out of the water. :-)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lisa M said...

Jules ~ I almost fell off my chair when I read your comment. LOL! I'm sure I'll have to reference my paper but I'm going to try not to just read it. Hopefully I'll look "natural" too! LOL! Thanks!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

She did a far better job than I did! Seriously!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • Our Ethiopian Friend
  • Time Well Spent
  • Purse-onality
  • Women of Faith
  • Picture This!
  • Who's Knocking At Your Door?
  • Five (5) lessons to make you think about the way w...
  • I’ve got a step-mom!
  • Weekend To Remember – Part 2
  • Weekend To Remember

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: