Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Moving Forward
Last Wednesday my Dad flew in to Dayton from his winter home in Florida. He came home for 2 weeks to spend Christmas with his family. He lives in Sidney for 6 months during the summer and then migrates down to Florida for the winter. I can't say I blame him. This is something he has been doing for years. This is the 2nd year he has had to do it alone. In September 2004 my Mom passed away from cancer at the age of 68.

Todd picked him up from the airport and when he got home he told me that Dad just talked non-stop about his new lady friend Fran. I knew that he really liked her from some conversations I had with him on the phone. About 6 months after Mom passed away he was making a list of women he thought he might ask out. He was so lonely and really missed the companionship of a woman. Those were his words at the time. At first I thought this was strange to be making a list of potential girlfriends but he explained to me that when you are in your 70's you don't have a lot of time and that he didn't want to live alone.

Well in the spring of 2005 he came home for the summer and asked out one of the women on his list. That one didn't work out. Then he went on to the next person. LOL! A very nice lady from Sidney. They did all kinds of things together. Dad is not one to sit home and likes to keep busy with social events, church related activities, and of course golf. He spent time doing things with her during the past 2 summers and although they got along and socialized a lot Dad felt like it wasn't a good match for him. So, he told me that he was going to ask out a lady in Florida that he sat next to in the church choir when he went back this fall. That was Fran.

When Todd got home from the airport he proceeded to tell me that Dad was pretty much making plans to marry her. That was a shock to me because he has only been dating her for 2 1/2 months. I then talked to Dad and the first thing out of his mouth was "Did Todd tell you about my lady friend? What do you think?" My response was "Well it seems kind of sudden." After we talked awhile things started to seem better about the situation. Yes I still think it is sudden but when you are older you have a different perspective on things. I'm learning this a lot from my Dad. Him making a list of possible dates after 6 months of being alone seemed kind of sudden and now this. He proceeded to tell me that he has known Fran for 10 years from being in the church choir together. He said he knows her personality and reputation. I realize that this relationship is not going to be like the one he had with Mom where you date when you are young, have kids, and grow old together. This is more like a companionship between two people who have lost their spouses and don't want to be alone. They have many things in common such as blue eyes, being left handed, both being 75, being Lutheran, singing, playing golf, and going out with friends. The blue eyes and left handed traits were ones my Dad mentioned and I thought those were funny.

I truly just want my Dad to be happy. It seems kind of strange to have a picture of him and Fran together and to not have met her. It sounds like she might be his wife before he gets home in the spring. I guess they are working out the details.

Nobody will ever replace my Mom which Dad has stated numerous times. I do see that my Dad needs to move forward and I want to be behind him 100%. I know he wants the blessing of his 3 children and their families. You have my blessing Dad!

  posted at 4:45 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • The Real Meaning of Christmas
  • My Favorite Christmas Song
  • Happy Birthday Todd!
  • Mother Teresa
  • Compliments
  • Proud Parents
  • Here I Go!

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: