Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Compliments
I had an experience at work today that brought back memories of a high school teacher that really left a mark on me. Her name was Mrs. Wildermuth and I had her for a Media class. What she taught me actually had nothing to do with the subject matter she was teaching. For some reason she always felt led to add things to the class that would make us better people. For that I will always be truly grateful.

When I think of Mrs. Wildermuth I think of the word compliment (an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration). She stressed how important it was to compliment those we come in contact with. She challenged us to find several people each day to pay sincere compliments to. She told us not to make anything up but to find something we appeciated about that person and to compliment them on it. I think at first it was a challenge but after awhile it became second nature. It was amazing how one single compliment could change that person's expression and possibly effect their attitude for the rest of the day. Mrs. Wildermuth always found something good to say to all of her students and it always made us feel good when she took the time to communicate that to us.

This morning I had to post our company newsletter to our agent's website. The newsletter comes out quarterly and Pam, the lady who spends hours working on it, typically sends it to me and I put it out for the agents to see. Every quarter I just slap that newsletter out there and it's done... until today. I got to thinking about how hard she must work on that newsletter to get the articles collected and all of the graphics and typewritten material just right. After I sent her my typical email stating that the newsletter had been posted I decided to send her another one telling her just how nice of a job she did on it. I told her it looked great and how she always does such a good job on it. It took me 20 seconds to type her that email and click the Send button. I wonder how long that compliment stayed with her? I hope it made her feel good like it was intended.

I'm glad I had this small experience today. It reminded me of a wonderful teacher and of the great lessons she taught us all. I hope to remember the word compliment on a daily basis and make an effort to see the good in the people around me. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving - what a good time to have this wonderful reminder to show our thankfulness towards each other and most of all to the God who loves us all.

  posted at 4:09 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Lisa M

Location:
Ohio, United States


I am very happily married to my husband Todd. We have a son, Evan, that means the world to us. We also have a cute little teacup poodle named Abby. I love to spend time with my family and friends. I continue to be on the journey as a Christ follower. Every day brings its challenges but I know I'm never alone. He is always there with me.

My Complete Profile


Cool Blogs
  • Todd's Blog
  • Antique Mommy
  • Boo Mama
  • Big Mama
  • Lori's Comfort Zone
  • Callapidder Days
  • Maced With Grace
  • Rocks In My Dryer
  • Dad Bloggers
  • Living In Grace
  • Faith Lifts
  • Beth Moore's Blog

  • Recent Posts
  • Proud Parents
  • Here I Go!

  • Archives
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007

  • Books I've Read in 2007...
  • Lessons I Learned In The Dark
  • Uncharted
  • Down (Syndrome) But Not Out
  • Same Kind Of Different As Me
  • Kill Me
  • River's Edge
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • Whistling In The Dark
  • Quaker Summer
  • Marley and Me
  • One Tuesday Morning


  • Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by: